How Often Should You Get Your Car Serviced – Learn More Here
Your car is your responsibility. Your investment is always going to pay you back. Getting it serviced is the best way to keep it running. With the COVID situation, it is understandable that it must have been the last thing on your mind.
Caring for your vehicle and keeping it under proper check is a little hefty but worth it. Regular servicing will keep it in good shape. It will save much in your pockets in the long run.
The most common query in this regard is how often you should get your car serviced?
Well, here we are to give you all the information you need!
What is Car Servicing?
A series of tweaks a mechanic carries out to make sure your automobile is working best is called car servicing.
In the most basic servicing, he will examine:
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems
- Automobile Fluids/ Oil
The car service can be of three types depending on your needs. The mechanic can work on your vehicle and get it fit for the job.
Why do you need Car Servicing?
Though you will find it burdensome, it is vital for your automobile health. You should do it for the following reasons.
- Your vehicle working in good order will extend its life and retain your vehicle’s value.
- The thorough check-up will ensure no potential problems will make your journeys safe. All issues are solved before they become too serious.
How Often Should You Get Your Car Serviced?
Every automobile has a manual book that comes with it. You can consult it for numerous queries to avoid any confusion. Most mechanics believe that your vehicle needs servicing every 12 months or if it has traveled 12,000 miles.
Some follow the principle of time, that is every
- 6 months or 10,000 miles.
- 24 months or 15,000 miles, whatever comes first.
Modern automobiles have self-diagnostic systems to alert the owner for the car service. Old vehicles have mileage-based intervals. Two different schedules follow in such vehicles.
- Cars driven in normal conditions.
- Vehicles used in severe service. It involves rigorous maintenance for your automobile in;
- Short trips (5 miles)
- Cold, dusty, or hot climates
- Towing trailers
- Stop-and-go driving
- Carrying heavyweight
These figures and facts are roughly a calculation because it varies from car to car. Some high-performance vehicles might need maintenance frequently, while high-mileage automobiles may work best on a variable schedule.
When to Change What?
Mechanics and dealerships recommend different schedules for different parts of the vehicle. Here is the basic routine for you to help keep your automobile fit and ready to go.
- Changing oil every 5,000-10,000 miles
- Getting Air Filters repaired after every 15,000 miles
- Inspecting fuel filter after every 30,000 miles
- Replacing fluids after every 30,000 miles
- Spark plugs after 40,000 miles
- Brakes after 50,000-60,000 miles
- Battery after every five years
- Tires should be after six years
- Your windshield wipers, hoses, and rubber gaskets need replacing when required.
Car Servicing Checklist-You Can Do It!
We suggest you have a checklist for your vehicle service. These simple points will keep your budget in check and ensure the best performance of your vehicle. They are common in any schedule you opt for servicing your automobile.
With every point we stated above, the following checklist will help you retain your automobile’s health. You can see the improvements on your own and decide when to get your automobile serviced by a mechanic.
- Check the oil level monthly and change it after every quarter
- Check the coolant level and brake fluid level once a month
- See if your battery and cables need some tweaking
- Test your headlights at dim and bright levels
- Inspect tire pressure
- Replace your brake pads
Take Care of Your Car Between Service
Your schedule for services may vary, and it is normal. But we bring you several tips and tricks- a simple care routine for your vehicle in between the service. So, you wind up saving money by spending on trivial tasks.
Always search for any problem you face in the manual before experimenting with anything. It is the first helpline to call for a service.
- Proper footgear
Your vehicle can be your haven or a nightmare depending on how you keep it. Tires are a crucial part of the vehicle. They need to be checked from time to time. Get the best quality rubber you can for the best endurance.
Never forget to inspect the air pressure. Using over-inflated tires will reduce contact patches by 30%. While riding around with poor-inflated tires will affect your fuel consumption.
The vehicle mainly has several fluids at the appropriate levels, so it functions properly. You should check the engine oil, coolant, brake, and transmission fluids. For those that have power steering, remember to check their fluid as well. They are color-specific.
- Battery-the Powerhouse!
The batter is the powerhouse of your car. Enjoying your ride through radios or reaching a destination, the battery plays a key role. Hence, avoid exerting extra heat through your engines and ensure the heat dissipation system keeps the battery healthy.
Should I Stick to My Service Schedule?
The answer is yes! It will pile up the work for you if you keep pending it.
The wear-and-tear will affect the mechanical parts. It will build a potential threat with less chance of spotting it.
You can use the service within the warranty period. It nullifies your warranty if you delay, leaving you with a bill for a repair.
What are the Main Benefits of Servicing my Car Regularly?
It matters how often you get your vehicle serviced. The schedule you set for service will determine the life of your vehicle.
- Car servicing will bring optimum health to your vehicle.
- It will spot your issues early, leaving time to think and manage expenses.
- A clean engine will ensure fuel economy.
- Scheduled visits to your mechanic will help to avoid expensive repairs. It will save money and bring financial investment in the long run.
- Coming to sell your vehicle with a full-service history will appeal to the buyers.
Finding the Best Auto Repair for Car Service
Though many out there promise you the best experience, we bring you some places you can find near you for a better experience.
- Cazoo Services Centres
- Trust My Garage
- Zimbrick at Fish Hatchery Road
- AAA Auto Repair
- Approved Garages
- Who Can Fix My Car
- Bosch Service Centre
Can I Do Car Service Myself at Home?
You can do anything if you are confident. It requires some skill, knowledge and tact.
Although you can fix certain things for your car, see your mechanic occasionally. Certain areas demand professional expertise. Your vehicle needs to be taken care of in the right way so that it promises long life and promises higher resale values.
Your car is your travel partner after all! The more you keep your partner comfortable and good-to-go, the more you will enjoy your experience.
Failure to service your automobile can lead to major mechanical failures. So, get it serviced often by keeping these points in mind and have a safe ride!